Guys!! you can be broke and stylish, how? keep reading.
One of the biggest misconceptions that exists about fashion is that it requires money. Well yes! to some extent it does, but trust me, you can be fashionable without loads of money.
A lot of people believe fashion bloggers have loads of money because we get to wear nice outfits, go out and enjoy the good things of life but I am here to tell you B**** We Broke!!! Lmao!! not everyone, but most of us are Just really living a very simple life with little money and trying to make the best of it.
I have told people I was broke and most of them are like Larisa? The fashion blogger, It’s not possible, someone said, but you always go out to eat, Another said I should give them an amount of money I haven’t seen in my life before and a lot more.
Why? Because they see that I am trying my best to look good, they look through my Instagram and automatically assume I am living the life. And I have loads of money to buy a lot of clothes and stuffs.
It happened a lot recently that at some point I realized I was on to something. People think I live a certain type of lifestyle that I don’t even think I do because I live a very simple type of life, but for some reason my blog and Instagram automatically make things look really different, so I thought maybe I am just good at planning, Managing and budgeting my little source of Income.
Firstly, I live on NYSC allowance and sometimes I get paid at my place of work, sometimes I get other law Jobs and make some money and sometimes I make a little bit of money off this blog.
But most of the time the amount I live on isn’t even up to the amount most of you get in a month and you all still think I am poppin?! Lmao!!!
Being broke can be annoying. However, if you are broke long enough, you actually learn a different approach to money that can be rewarding in the long term. When you don’t have extra money It makes you mindful and aware of what you really need and what is frivolous.
And it forces you to make do with what you have, so let’s get to it.
How to be fashionable without money
- Learn to Thrift: I used to love to go the market to shop when I was younger, but at some point I preferred going to the boutiques and shopping online, but after I moved back to Nigeria and the Economy went from a 100 to 0, the dollar went high, prices of everything tripled, we could not order online with our Naira cards anymore. I decided to start thrifting again and I was amazed at the amazing, unique pieces I found. Don’t get me wrong, I still do shop in those places, but In recent times I learnt how to thrift in the market. See a top I got thrifing HERE
- Plan and Budget: I literally plan my month, I plan everything I need to do, places I need to go,Restaurant I think I want to visit to spoil myself and I have a set budget for everything. Obviously you need to leave extra cash In case something comes up like friends wanting to go out and any Emergencies. Trust me, this is very hard, but it works perfectly.
- Write down Items you need to get: I do this a lot, Maybe you need a bag, white jeans or anything else, write them down in a hierarchy in small book so when you get extra money you can get them and tick it off your list. I find this really helpful because in months I can get everything on my list and feel like I actually used my money wisely. As we all know, money can vanish in seconds and you won’t even know what you used it for.
- Go shopping in your closet: Go into your closet, take out everything and rearrange. You would find things you have forgotten about: that skirt you bought a few years ago, the T-shirt your friend gave you as a birthday present, Just take a Saturday or Sunday off to do this. Give to the orphanage or friend’s items you do not want anymore and even if you do not find anything, at least you cleaned your closet.
- Find out where sales happen: I know when all the sales online and in my favorite shops happens. Ask the shops you buy from, subscribe to their mail list so you get notified when sales begin and follow their social media. I am very good at this lol! I can get a top that was 50 dollars when it reduces to 10 or 5 during the sales. Will wait on it and I am not joking about it.
- Learn how to sew or get a good, affordable tailor: I don’t know about you, but If I want something I will go out and find it. If you can’t sew then find an affordable tailor. I do this a lot recently because I love some trends and it’s just cheaper to sew than buy at the moment. See What a tailor made for me HERE and HERE
- Shop the classics and save for them: I have a list of expensive Items I want and I save to get each one of them, write them down and when you have excess money buy them. I love shoes and bags and always save to get them and even when I am broke and I go out wearing one, you will think I am a bag of money lol. So treat yourself to designer pieces you truly love once in a while.
- learn to mix and match: You can wear a 500 Naira top and a 2000 Naira skirt and you look hot like Million bucks. Most of the time it is always about the perfect pairing.
- Be confident: Wear your clothes with confidence. After dressing up, walk tall with pride. No! You might not be carrying a Chanel or Lv swag at the moment, but you are still looking good, so enjoy it.
I know being broke and trying to be stylish can be annoying but Girl!!! This is the reason we are all working hard. We are all young and hungry with ambition and everything will be perfect in time. It is a process Never Forget that.
Now walk tall and wear that outfit with pride.
This post is for Students, Undergrad, Youth Corpers and people starting out their lives in the harsh Economy.
I would like to know how most of you budget and plan in the comment section.
Thank you for Visiting